Katheryn Howard: The Scandalous Queen by Alison Weir

by - 9:55 AM

 



Ms. Weir has such a beautiful way of storytelling, seamlessly blending meticulous historical research with historical fiction. The various locations in the book all jumped off of the page and were described thoroughly and wonderfully, and I could envision them as if I was actually in England in the 1500s. The historical figures she brings to life as her characters all felt so real, and vivid, and their interactions with one another were so authentic. She made me believe I was in the Tudor Court with them all. I feel like I got to know and understand Katheryn Howard much better from reading this book. We see Katheryn first as a young child, watch her growing up, and see how she was often used as a pawn by those around her wanting to advance their power and positions. She rarely had a choice but to do certain things. We see Katheryn make some of her own decisions out of naivety, some out of passion, and some out of just wanting to feel loved and accepted. What a sad and tragic story.
Katheryn Howard was never my favorite of Henry VIII’s wives. I had never found her very interesting and chose to not look deeper. Alison Weir’s novel changed my perspective on this young queen. She was given humanity and became relatable in a way that other books had not portrayed her.


You May Also Like

0 Comments

Powered By Blogger