Book Wrap Up December

by - 5:18 AM


The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry (**)

I have no quibble about the quality of the writing here and many passages were absorbing and quite enchanting. However; I found this book quite tedious and was glad when I got to the last page-which felt like an achievement.

The Price of Innocence by Vicki Hopkins (**)

The vocabulary was elementary and, at times, used dull, modern phrases. I think what bothered me the most was the dialogue. Everything the characters said was dull and stilted, with a basic vocabulary.

As Red as Blood by Salla Simukka (**)

I thought the author had some wonderful words in helping the reader understand the beauty of cold Russian winters. The story is pretty predictable, but not the best.

Uneasy Lies the Crown, A Novel of Owain Glyndwr by N. Gemini Sasson (***)

An interesting book with some great characters. It’s well written, but I found it hard to follow at times with all the jumping around from Wales to Scotland to England and back to Wales, with subplots being played out in each area.

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh (****)

Well-written book about a girl who grew up in foster care and communicates through the language of flowers. Well researched with significant character development. Thought provoking. A little too idealistic of an ending for me, but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman (****)

I was captivated by this delightful, magical story and wanted more of the Owens family. Those who enjoy magical realism, women's fiction laced with romance, and stories about multi-generations of women should give this one a try.

2025: SF Novella by Stjepan Varesevac Cobets (****)

A book of survival and one we all could relate to given the world’s current events. Even though this isn’t my cup of tea, I have to say that it caught my attention. And I would recommend it with all my heart!

You May Also Like

0 Comments

Powered By Blogger