The Flame Bearer by Bernard Cornwell

by - 11:21 AM



“So long as we remember names, so long those people live.”

Cornwell's writing quality, unpredictable plot, and well-developed characters didn't fail to impress me. I appreciate how he narrates the present action as a memory of an old man, dropping hints about what's to come. It's a clever technique that adds depth to the story. While this story doesn't have as much fighting action as the previous ones, it's packed with intrigue and plots, which I find equally enjoyable. Cornwell's depiction of Uhtred's inner thoughts on war, fear, necessity, and readiness is impressive, and the way his perspective changes with age, as well as his pragmatism on the subject, is well-conveyed. It's a beautifully written, human story that reminds me why Cornwell is one of my favorite authors. 

I'm also impressed with the amount of conniving and deception that other characters and the reader are subjected to, which Cornwell skillfully pulls off. The plot is intricate, and complicated, yet completely believable, and it completely engrossed me in the story as I read. It's a fantastic historical action adventure that I would highly recommend.


You May Also Like

0 Comments

Powered By Blogger