November Book Wrap Up

by - 1:47 PM


Hey everyone! As you can probably tell from the title, today I’m talking about all the books I read in November.

So, without further ado, let’s get started, shall we?





1. An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears (✬✬✬)


It is essentially a murder mystery told from four different viewpoints- each storyteller had some unique version of the same events/time period and each came to a different conclusion who murdered the victim. The “truth” learned at the very end of the book is gratifying and makes it worth the read, as does the breadth of ideas and subjects involved. Mr. Pears should be highly commended for both his elegant and articulate writing style and his magnificent scholarship. And he does, finally, put everything together with the last narrator. But, sadly, instead of breathlessly turning pages to find the answers to the vast number of perplexing questions posed, I instead found myself glad that the book was ending.

2. Secrets of the Tides by Hannah Richell (✬✬)


The storyline started off being interesting, but after reading around half of the book, I felt it became predictable and tedious. I did not enjoy it but made myself finish it with a bit of speed reading.

3. The Family by Mario Puzo (✬✬✬)


This book is a very different, very intimate, very compelling look at the Borgia family. The unapologetic and sympathetic manner in which the author depicts the passion between Cesare and Lucrezia may horrify some readers, but others will find it moving and tender.

4. Virgin: Prelude to the Throne by Robin Maxwell (✬✬✬)


This book is a must-read for all Elizabethan fans and historians who feel there is a missing link in Elizabeth’s life. Robin Maxwell has helped put the pieces together for me and now Elizabeth appears like a whole new, different person. Her depth in character, her choices in life, her destiny and her ruling have roots from a far deeper place. I understand her so much better.

5. The Shadow of the Crescent Moon by Fatima Bhutto (✬✬)


 I could not tell if the characters were embroiled as terrorists or as citizens trying to survive terrorism. That is a pretty big gap in understanding! Neither the place nor the characters were developed to make me care.

6. The Rose of York: Crown of Destiny by Sandra Worth (✬✬✬)


Sandra Worth is an amazing storyteller, especially in this historical setting. I felt as if I were right there with each character. She knows how to put you in each setting and feel the surroundings. As I’m a huge fan of anything Kings and Queens from England and Scotland, Worth did not disappoint in telling a very intriguing and controversial viewpoint of Richard III and how he came to be King. It will challenge your perception of history and leave you in wonderment about this fascinating man and his family.

7. The Opposite of Love by Julie Buxbaum (✬✬✬)


The Opposite of Love, by Julie Buxbaum, is a terrific read. It is an emotional book that goes to the edges of feelings and relationships. At times humorous in its raw honesty, at times sad as her protagonist, Emily Haxby, struggles with discovering herself, one in which she is capable to put herself in a position to love, a position of vulnerability.


8. The Snake Stone by Jason Goodwin (✬✬✬)


This book does a great job capturing the “feel” of old Istanbul - the dock workers, the booksellers, the kitchens and alleys. The plot itself is about what we want from a mystery - complex enough to be a puzzle, not so much so we are lost. It is fun, fast, and light.


9.  The Queen's Pleasure by Brandy Purdy (✬✬✬)


The story itself is a page turner, it is captivating. I love historical fiction from the Tudor times and I was not disappointed. This gives a great twist to the Elizabeth/Robert/Amy story. Letting us into the characters heads to see and feel the joy, hope, love, despair, and eventual demise.

10.  The Last Summer (of You and Me) by Ann Brashares (✬✬)


The Last Summer (of You and Me) did not start very good for me. Until 50% I had a hard time even focusing on the story. I am not sure why. Something about the way it was written did not keep my attention even when I was actively reading it. I kept finding myself thinking of other things. Then around halfway through I could focus on the story. The story itself is I did not like it. 


You May Also Like

0 Comments

Powered By Blogger