September: Memory Lane

by - 2:30 PM

2015


✵✵✵✵✵

Being a great fan of historical fiction, I was caught up in the fast-paced storyline and enjoyed the historical detail of the times. I recommend this fascinating story. It has it all, love, betrayal, secrets...




2016

✵✵✵✵✵
I enjoyed this book! Author Stephanie Dray did a splendid job of recreating Selene from vulnerable young woman to a woman of great strength. The characters were really engaging, and the story was exciting and satisfying. It is an expertly plotted story with care and attention to historical details.






2017

✵✵✵✵✵
This is an entirely brilliant book! From the Invasion of the Romans to the Glorious Revolution to the present day, Rutherford traces important historical events by following several London families throughout the ages. Though the stories are broken up chronologically, transitions flowed rather smoothly, and when engrossed in a chapter, the action and plot twists are so well arranged that it is hard to focus on doing anything else.

✵✵✵✵
It will not disappoint if you have been mesmerized by Dumas’ other work of fiction such as the Count of Monte Cristo with this extraordinary piece of storytelling. The setting of the story starts with the time of Queen Margot’s marriage, the occasion which prompts the murder of a large number of Huguenots, gathered in Paris for the wedding of their Henri in St. Bartholomew, across from the Louvre.

✵✵✵✵✵
Each sentence is a masterpiece. This book is not only beautifully written, but it is also extremely well researched and carefully documented to give a fascinating insight into the woman behind the legend.




✵✵✵✵✵

A fascinating detective story that educates as it entertains. Goodwin combines an insider’s sense for the life of Turkish Istanbul with a marvelous sense for character development, intricate and surprising plotting, and a real gift for literary style. Absolutely amazing!








✵✵




I had high hopes for this book, like many others have said, but in the end, the book wasn’t for me. I found the writing to be simple and with little detail. It was way too much predictable and bland.




✵✵✵✵

I enjoyed this story and I’m getting to like the style of writing of this author. The biggest problem I have with this one is that some main characters are flat, who spoiled the story for me to a point I almost put the book away. But I’m glad I didn’t.



✵✵

I can’t say I disliked this book, but I didn’t like it either!! The beginning was torturous in; it was slow.It kind of jumped around but got more interesting toward the middle of the book. The end of the book was predictable.




✵✵✵✵✵


Written in a lively, lucid prose, the book includes not only the arc of Roxelana’s life and career but fascinating and comprehensible explanations of many complex historical phenomena, from elite slavery to the harem to Ottoman dynastic politics to international relations. Brilliant research enjoyed it immensely.

✵✵✵✵✵
"The World of Ice & Fire" is an absolutely rich and well-researched fantasy encyclopedia. If you're a fan of the universe Martin has crafted, you'll like this book. The art is just awesome. There are paintings of the Wall being constructed by Brandon the Builder, the children, and a bunch giants. Just awesome.



✵✵✵✵
Whitney, My Love was an entertaining read. This page-turner kept me laughing and crying on the same page. McNaught’s ability to bring characters alive is remarkable. The characters were well developed and their story had great depth and intrigue, however; the story seemed to just continue on and on made me wondered what was the point?


✵✵✵✵
Well, it is a delightful tale. The middle part’s a bit slow though. There may be a historical inaccuracy and characters far too modern for the time period. A great one by McNaught that you shouldn’t miss if you love medieval.








✵✵✵✵



I enjoyed the female point of view and the book was rich in detail and character development. Sometimes too rich and as a result, it dragged in places. I love how Marion Zimmer Bradley changes the usual story around. I loved it!

✵✵
I liked the concept of this book, but the execution left much to be desired. The language, first of all, is filthy. I’m not turned off by “bad” language but it is just so over the top.






✵✵✵✵✵


A well-written novel about Russian history and how its people interact within it’s rich and interesting culture. Rutherfurd makes the story of Russia come alive.







✵✵✵✵
Engaging characters, interesting plot, evocative locale. I will definitely look into the author’s other books.









✵✵✵✵✵

Love Raymond E. Feist and his Rift War Series. It has likable characters and a superb storyline. Whether you are a fantasy reader or mystery reader, this book has it all. I recommend it.






✵✵✵
This was a hard book for me to get into. There was so much secrecy in both romances, with no valid reason for all the lies and deception, especially in the modern day romance. The Winter Sea is a good read, but the writing style doesn’t flow well.





✵✵
Disappointing. The story jumped all over the place, the characters are poorly developed and pretty horrible.








✵✵✵
This book was cute. It was fun and different. Overall, an enjoyable story, but one that didn’t make much of an impact on me. I doubt I would ever give it a second thought.








✵✵

The plot was bland, and I didn’t care about the characters very much. I doubt I will try her again.







✵✵✵
I did not find the characters well developed, and I thought the plot was discontinuous. I found myself interested in what happened to the characters as the story progressed. But in the end, I ended up thinking it was ok.



2018


✵✵✵
The first part of the book is too slow, and the second it rushes through facts. The actual writing isn’t all that impressive as the author does a lot of “telling” and leaves little to the reader’s construction. Wouldn’t say life-changing, but rather entertaining.




✵✵✵✵
I enjoyed this book and couldn’t put it down honestly. The book made me laugh and cry. It dragged a little here and there but was a very good book and I highly recommend it!








✵✵✵✵
An absorbingly written fictional story that still gives a historically accurate portrayal of Lady Jane Grey. It was informative and heart-wrenching. Recommended for historical lovers, especially those with a strong adoration of all things Tudor.




✵✵✵✵
I’d recommend reading The Accidental Empress, part one of Empress Elisabeth’s life. I found it to be the better book of the two although Sisi: Empress on Her Own is far from bad. Allison Pataki has done her research, and it’s very well written! Captivating to the last page!




✵✵✵✵✵
Darkness at Sethanon continues Feist’s fantastic Riftwar series. This book, however, is one of my personal favorites in the series. It is compelling, gripping, and it keeps you wanting more. This story is an epic tale. I would recommend it to anyone who is into medieval times and fantasy.




✵✵
This book offers no surprises, nothing interesting, nothing to keep me wanting to read. There didn’t seem to be much progression in the storyline. The characters felt selfish and shallow. The writing is fine; it was just boring for me.




✵✵✵
I thought it would be more in-depth, but, none-the-less it was an easy read, with some humor added in. The book was entertaining as all of Ms. Quinn’s novels.






✵✵✵✵
The Tudor Bride is a nice sequel to the Agincourt Bride. There is some interesting history to be learned, and the side story about Mette and Catherine's relationship, while fictional, adds depth to the book. Definitely a worthwhile read.




✵✵✵✵
Although the King's Buccaneer had some of Feist's usual magic and conflict, I found that half way through it was hard to keep on reading. It still deserves four stars though, not his best work, but still a good novel.






✵✵✵✵

It took me a while but in the end this was solid read. Really good sci-fi. High-action, fast paced, great characters development. I’d recommend this book if you enjoy classic Sci-Fi novels.





✵✵✵✵✵
This book continues Feist’s talent for creating real, interesting characters. Jimmy the Hand is still one of my favorite fictional character of all time. If you like fantasy, you’ll love Silverthorn.







✵✵✵
Lord Cameron’s story is the third in the Mackenzies and McBrides series. I enjoyed the first two books, and this one was good as well.







✵✵✵✵
This is a well-written and interesting work of historical fiction, revolving around two women who wielded a great deal of influence in early thirteenth century England and France. Jean Plaidy doesn't disappoint, she perfectly captured a time that was anything but simple, yet fascinating all the same.




✵✵✵
The book was well written and fast-paced. I thought the character development was weak. A little predictable but, I would read the sequel.







✵✵✵
The first half of the book was very interesting. And then the second half, well, nothing really happens and the book drags and get really boring. All in all, it’s a nice story to end the series.







✵✵✵✵

You can’t go wrong with Elizabeth Hoyt. Her characters are endearing. The writing style sublime. You genuinely care what happens! I would recommend this series to anyone who enjoys historical romance!




✵✵✵
I liked this book overall. The first half was a kind of slow and seemed to repeat itself, but the second half was faster and was much better at getting to the point. Glad I kept with it to the end.






✵✵✵
I felt the novel was a little drawn out and slow. Especially in the beginning. When the revolution was in full swing, it was just a lot of death and despair. But, Moran makes it readable. Her research is something to marvel at. I would still recommend this book to historical fiction lovers and to anyone who enjoys French History.





✵✵

Didn't love it, didn't hate it. The characters are rather flat and there are massive gaps in a plausible storyline. There is almost no narrative development.







✵✵✵
This book was good but, too wordy. It caught my eye enough to read the sequel which I enjoyed better. The descriptions of the lifestyle during the time period were excellent, which was the best part of the book.







✵✵
I had a hard time just getting through the first few chapters. The plot had promise but the characters, though grounded in history just were not drawn by the author so I even cared for them.






✵✵✵


The story is well written and historical information well documented. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it as an easy read.





✵✵✵✵
The author’s descriptions of the characters are so well-done, and while one may judge too harshly some of their actions, compassion for their plights should be the over-riding emotion. This was a moving experience, not just because of the book, but because of the author.

You May Also Like

0 Comments

Powered By Blogger