One Day by David Nicholls

by - 10:11 AM




“This is where it all begins. Everything starts here, today.”



An excellent read! The novel is filled to the brim with the ‘stuff’ that makes us human. The characters are quirky and easy to respond to in a way that makes them friends, people you would want to spend time with. The love story is inevitable, but it’s slow-brewed through a series of dialogues and experiences that leave you mostly laughing. The author’s words made me feel like I was in the room with every page I turned. Without giving too much of the book, I was not keen on Dex’s character. The author described him very well, I just did not like how he (Dex) was a jerk. Emma’s character was beautifully written, a perfect balance to Dex’s arrogant persona. But it all made sense.

A very engaging, captivating story; even though I knew the main relationship outcome (the good bit), experiencing the life journey of the two main characters as they navigated their way through life was very interesting and absorbing. The characterizations were wonderful; the author knows how to get inside his characters’ heads and I felt as though I could relate to his characters. The author writes with marked intelligence and warmth ... the story flows beautifully.

This is a beautiful book - beautifully written and themes as old as time explored with a freshness that gives insight, side-splitting humor, and closure. It transports the reader from one page to the next by a heartbeat that resonates through the writing. It left me wanting more!


You May Also Like

0 Comments

Powered By Blogger