Book Wrap Up September

by - 10:07 AM

 


Bride of New France by Suzanne Desrochers (✬✬)


The history might be accurate, but the storyline is stretched beyond believability, and characters are shallow. I could not believe the bride would have made the choices she did. They did not seem to ring true with the expectations that would have been in place. 

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys (✬✬✬)

This was a decent book. I hadn't previously heard of the Wilhelm Gustloff, and Sepetys's extra information at the end taught me a decent amount I didn't realize about World War II. The book moved a bit too slowly for my liking, and it switched narrators more often than I prefer, but it was a great story overall.

The Queen's Lover by Francine du Plessix Gray (✬✬)

This book provides a flat portrayal of a tumultuous time in history. For what was billed as a novel, there was minimal story provided to bring life to the people and events. Instead, this book was a linear compilation of historical facts.

Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts (✬✬✬✬)

This is a heartwarming story. I would have liked a more well-rounded conclusion but that's my only criticism. The book is easy to read and comprehend with characters who are easy to love.

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides (✬✬✬✬✬)

This is a book where once you read, you can’t live your life until it’s finished. It mesmerized me from start to finish. The imagery draws you into the world of the Lisbon sisters, all while remaining in the dark who they’re are. An amazing read, interesting story, and original plot.

You May Also Like

0 Comments

Powered By Blogger