January Book Wrap Up

by - 10:43 AM

 




The Librarian of Auschwitz by Antonio G. Iturbe (✬✬✬✬)


The Librarian of Auschwitz gives the reader a sense of the dark reality of life- no, survival, as their existence there can’t rightly be called life- in the infamous Nazi camp. The author builds his story around actual events and people, and although it is a dark story, it is also inspirational. 


The Hand That First Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell (✬✬✬)

 The characters looked intriguing and the storytelling device - alternating between two completely different storylines and gradually tying them together - is one that I enjoy. Unfortunately, I found the whole thing rather lackluster. The characters were fine, but I didn’t find myself emotionally invested in them.


My Best Friend's Girl by Dorothy Koomson (✬✬✬✬)

The book is lovely and has so many believable moments. The characters are well fleshed out and there are several moments when I found myself tearing up. The premise is unique, and it ends up becoming a very modern family indeed. 


The Nix by Nathan Hill (✬✬✬)

The Nix was okay. It has some good twists and a fairly good plot. Too many unnecessary characters were expounded on too heavily and there were a lot of irrelevant things brought into the plot that made the novel drag in some parts. The writing is good, but sometimes it became too verbose, so much so that I skipped entire pages to get to something relevant. 


This Must Be the Place by Maggie O'Farrell (✬✬✬✬)

I enjoyed this book a lot. It has excellent writing, interesting characters, and fun locales. It’s a little choppy because of the alternating narrators per chapter, but I think O’Farrell does a masterful job of weaving it all together, and I think her artistic talent/skills worked to make it cohesive.


The Coffee Trader by David Liss (✬✬✬)


Experiencing life in a different time period is always interesting, but I mostly wanted the story to move along more quickly. There were a lot of build-ups, and then the story was over so fast it was as though the writer’s time ran out. It was abrupt to me, and that spoiled the book.

You May Also Like

0 Comments

Powered By Blogger